Here in San Francisco, we get a lot of cold, rainy days. So consequently, I end up eating a lot of soup. Sometime last month I started searching for a healthy- but hearty and easy soup to make for dinner one night after work. I found this recipe from Martha Stewart for a chicken sausage, kale and potato soup. This recipe was everything I was looking for. It is easy to throw together, inexpensive, healthy, filling, and delicious.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 onion, diced
• 2-6 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes (I used about 1/2 teaspoon because I like it spicy)
• 5 waxy potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4- 1/2-inch slices
• 3 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 1 bunch kale (12 ounces), stemmed and shredded
• 12 ounces smoked chicken sausage, cut into 1/2-inch half moons (I used garlic and artichoke variety of the “Aidells” brand chicken sausages)
• Parmesan cheese (optional garnish)
1. In a large pot (6 to 8 quarts), heat oil over medium. Add onion and cook until soft, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes; cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
3. Add potatoes and broth; bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat; simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
5. In a food processor or blender, puree half the soup. *(If you don’t have a food processor or blender, I would suggest taking out some of the potatoes and broth and mashing them up well with a fork or masher.)
6. Return the blended soup mixture to the pot; add kale and sausage. Simmer until kale is wilted, 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Garnish with parmesan cheese, and serve with fresh sourdough bread.
- Norcal Foodies Instant Pot Tortilla Chicken Soup
- Norcal Foodies Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Eggs in an Egg Blanket – Poached Eggs Inside an Omelette
- Bacon and Egg Breakfast Cups – Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos Stuffed with Gluten-Free Non-Dairy Cream Cheese
- Southern American Succotash Soup with Chicken
- Pork and Beef Meatloaf
- Slow Cooked BBQ Chicken
- Moroccan Chicken Soup with Charmoula Butter
- Cake Pops (yellow and chocolate cake)
Tagsavocado bacon baked basil bell peppers Black Beans Breakfast butter Celery chicken Cilantro corn crock pot Cumin dinner egg free Eggplant egg whites Garbanzo Beans Garlic gluten free green beans Italian kale Milk mozzarella Olive Oil onion onions Parsley pesto Potatoes ravioli Red Onion rice slow cooker soup soyrizo thyme tomato tomatoes tomato sauce vegetable box vegetarian Zucchini