It’s cold and rainy right now in San Francisco and pretty much all of Northern California.
When I get cold, nothing warms up my body and soul like a big bowl of hot soup. Well a little while back we posted another soup blog (Moroccan Chicken Soup) from a recipe we found in a book we have called “The Soup Bible“. This book is full of amazing soup recipes and a great place to start with learning to make some soups. So this recipe is the one that I was planning on making when I accidentally bought the ingredients for the other one.
I’ve made this recipe about 4 times so far and every time it is amazing. It is creamy, buttery, with just the perfect hint of bacon throughout. If you’re a vegan, this soup is not for you.
(I wound up doubling these ingredients to make enough for a few days)
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 Onions, Chopped
- 4 oz of Bacon (or half a pack of bacon)
- 4 Cobs of corn. (I used frozen corn and around 3 cups)
- Pint of Milk (I used nonfat milk)
- 1 can of Lima beans, drained
- 3 tbsp Chopped Parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flour. (I used more than this to make it thicker, so about half a cup)
- Bring chicken stock to a boil in a large pan.
- Add the whole or sliced chicken breasts to the stock and bring back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook for around 12-15 minutes.
- Use tongs or a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from the stock and set in a bowl for later. Also set the stock to the side for later.
- In another pan, begin melting the butter. Add the onions and cook for 5 or so minutes to cook until softened, but not brown.
- Chop the bacon and add to the butter and onions and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until beginning to brown.
- Then sprinkle in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Gradually stir in the hot stock from before and bring to a boil, stirring until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add the corn to the pan with half of the milk. Return to the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes, until corn is tender.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and stir into the soup. Stir in the butter beans and the remaining milk.
- Bring everything to boil for 5 minutes, then season with salt and pepper to your liking and add parsley.
This soup is one of our favorites.
If you make it, we’d love to hear how you like it and if you made any variations on it.
- Easy Pumpkin Spice Cookies – 3 Ingredient
- Chicken Fajitas
- Norcal Foodies Instant Pot Tortilla Chicken Soup
- Norcal Foodies Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Eggs in an Egg Blanket – Poached Eggs Inside an Omelette
- Bacon and Egg Breakfast Cups – Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos Stuffed with Gluten-Free Non-Dairy Cream Cheese
- Southern American Succotash Soup with Chicken
- Pork and Beef Meatloaf
- Slow Cooked BBQ Chicken
Tagsavocado bacon beef bell peppers Black Beans Breakfast butter Celery chicken Chocolate Cilantro corn Cumin dinner Eggplant egg whites Fingerling Potatoes Garbanzo Beans Garlic gluten free green beans kale Mexican food Milk mozzarella norcalfoodies Olive Oil onion onions Parsley pesto Potatoes ravioli Red Onion rice slow cooker soup soyrizo thyme tomato tomatoes tomato sauce vegetable box vegetarian Zucchini